ROTARY YOUTH LEADERSHIP AWARDS PROGRAM
Sunday May 3th to Friday May 8 2015
REGISTRATION FORMS AND DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS
THE PURPOSE OF RYLA
The theme of this outstanding community-based training course is “Leadership Begins With Me!” It provides an opportunity for the participants to get to know themselves better and to cultivate the respect and trust of others. They are able to identify their own leadership skills and determine ways to make more effective use of their resources.
- To live, for one week, on the Loyalist College Campus in Belleville, to attend a leadership seminar to be held Sunday May 3 2015 to Friday May 8 2015. The full expense of $900 for the week is paid by a sponsoring Rotary Club.
- An invitation for the candidate to join a meeting of the sponsoring club to meet Rotarians and to learn about Rotary prior to attending RYLA. Upon completion of RYLA the candidate will return to the sponsoring club to address the Rotarians about his/her RYLA experience.
- A RYLA certificate signed by the District Governor in recognition of “service to the community” presented on the closing evening.
The RYLA program requires selflessness, self-awareness and previously exhibited leadership qualities. In order to benefit from the lectures, activities and tasks of the week, candidates interviewed for the RYLA program need the ability to communicate effectively and to work well with other young men and women.
ACADEMIC LEVEL & AGE
The principles of adult education are assumed and applied. Therefore a degree of academic maturity is required. Candidates in the 19 to 25 age group and who are attending college, university or who are employed full-time are most suited to the program.
Potential candidates must have demonstrated leadership and the willingness to participate in their community through active involvement in Rotaract, school clubs or other volunteer organizations.
- Simulated games designed as a thought-provoking series of “learning by doing” activities
- Small group discussions on the thought process and behaviors that surface from the lectures and simulations
- An opportunity to discuss individual and group issues and concerns
- Structured recreational activities
- Leisure activities and fellowship
- Participants are responsible for the organization and operation of several committees: recreation, entertainment, publication of RYLA newspaper, etc.
Candidates in the Greater Toronto Area can be transported by bus to and from Loyalist -College Campus. There are two pick-up/drop-off locations: Farview Mall & Whitby GO Station.
THE CANDIDATE MUST SUBMIT THIS COMPLETED FORM BY NO LATER
THAN APRIL 3, 2015 TO:
DISTRICT 7070 RYLA 2015 COMMITTEE
c/o Josie Abbate
10 Constance Drive
Whitby, ON L1P 1N3
Home: 905 665-6085
Cell: 905 259-6085